Add To Favorites In PHR
Alzheimer's Walk: More than $60,000 raised
Kokomo Tribune - 9/26/2018
Sept. 25--More than 450 residents from Kokomo and the surrounding area joined the Alzheimer's Association Walk to End Alzheimer's in the fight to end Alzheimer's disease on Saturday at Jackson Morrow Park in Kokomo.
Participants raised a projected total exceeding $60,000 to fund Alzheimer's care, support and research programs.
"The 2018 Kokomo Walk to End Alzheimer's was an inspiring event," said Thomas Benoist, development specialist for the Alzheimer's Association Greater Indiana Chapter.
"We are grateful to the community for coming out to support our vision of a world without Alzheimer's disease. Funds raised provide Alzheimer's research, advocacy, and care and support for those in the community facing Alzheimer's or dementia and their caregivers."
Here are some other highlights from the 2018 Kokomo Walk to End Alzheimer's:
* Number of walkers: 400 pre-registered; 450 total among 66 teams
* Top fundraising team: Golden Living Journey, the staff team from Golden Living Sycamore Village.
* Top team amount raised: $4,424
* Top individual fundraiser: Jan Warner. She walked in memory of her late husband Ron, who passed away from Alzheimer's disease.
* Top individual amount raised: $1,700
* Participants walked 1.3 miles through Jackson Morrow Park on a chilly autumn morning.
* Sponsors included Statewide Presenting Sponsor Eli Lilly & Co., Statewide Major Sponsor Trilogy Health Services, and additional local sponsors American Senior Communities and Golden Living Sycamore Village, as well as Local Presenting Media Partner Z92.5.
In Indiana alone, there are more than 110,000 people living with the disease and their 338,000 caregivers.
In the United States, more than 5 million Americans are living with Alzheimer's disease, the sixth-leading cause of death and the only disease among the top 10 causes that cannot be cured, prevented or even slowed. Additionally, more than 16 million family and friends provide care to people with Alzheimer's and other dementias.
For more information on upcoming Indiana walks and how to get involved, visit alz.org/Indiana/walk.
(c)2018 the Kokomo Tribune (Kokomo, Ind.)
Visit the Kokomo Tribune (Kokomo, Ind.) at www.kokomotribune.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.